Tuesday, February 1, 2011

View from Terminal C, Birmingham Airport


The sun sheds its gold
upon these hills, gentle
rolling landscapes,
some treed, some bare,
glowing in late afternoon.

I have been here before,
seen, walked these hills,
watched, walked the shadows
of rich yellow edging
into completed darkness.

The fading sky as golden
as the hills, streaked
by blues and whites,
a final exuberance
of day, light.

This poem is submitted for One Stop Poetry’s One Shot Wednesday. To see more poems, please visit the site. The links will be live at 4 p.m. Central time today.

Photograph: Awesome by Smith Smith via Public Domain Pictures. Used with permission.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, the combination of the picture and your words--I just receive quietness. Need to linger here for a minute. Thanks Glynn.

Maureen said...

I like how you bring this to "a final exuberance of day, light" - that pause the comma requires so that we fully appreciate the light that is the gift.

signed...bkm said...

Such a lovely flow in that last stanza Glynn...one fades right into it....very nice writing...bkm

hedgewitch said...

Makes me feel I've walked every mile of those hills, and known the peace of their yellow shadows. Lovely piece.

dustus said...

Splendid descriptions of the image. Very cool how you express you've been there before and then repeat the word walking; lends a deja vu feel to it.

Brian Miller said...

nice capture of one of the beautiful moments of the day glynn...

gautami tripathy said...

Great descriptions...

tears of the sky fall to the ground

Unknown said...

Beautiful description of my neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Love the beautiful word picture.

Katherine Krige said...

Sunset can be a magical time. Very blissful.

I like the poem, but want to offer a minor suggestion if I may Glynn. In the second stanza, you use walked in the 2nd and 3rd line. While I realize that you are making a point, I feel like you could perhaps find a different verb for one of these; perhaps "stepped the shadows". Not sure if I like that much better, but I just thought I would offer some constructive criticism.

Anonymous said...

i like it
just the way it is
and just the way it was
how you walked
and walk again
and the final
day,
light

Corbie said...

Glynn,
This was a beautiful poem. I agree that the combination of the poem and picture was a delightful combination. You are great with imagery. Thank you for sharing.

Claudia said...

..walked the shadows
of rich yellow edging
into completed darkness... beautiful caputure of the moment glynn

Steve Isaak said...

Solid nature imagery & flow.